Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What can I do if my black lab has a problem with tearing of a layer of her pads when she runs alot?

Ever since we got Molly she has had trouble with getting sores on her pads and sometimes tearing a layer off? I took her to the vet the first time and they gave her an antibotic and dosen't seem to be worried about it
Answers:
I take it she's running on concrete or pavement a lot. I have an 11 month old black lab who has done the same thing. I try to keep Bandit off the road as much as possible now. When he is on the road, I have a set of boots I put on him. I'm surprised the vet didn't recommend boots anyway, to keep dirt out of the sores.
She may have a mild allergy to something underfoot, or soft pads. Most pet stores sell dog boots that you can put on to protect her feet. If your vet did not seem concerned, you might try the boots and see if that helps.
might sound silly but why not get molly some dog socks/shoes it will protect her feet.
Buy her some dog boots or socks to wear - I know it sounds really funny but if she will tolerate them, it is very effective in protecting her feet!! I used to do the same thing for my bulldog and it helped a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment