Thursday, July 30, 2009

What do hot spots look like? Can you see them?

I have a 3 year old English bulldog. He devoloped a bump between his toes. It's all sweld up. Could this be a hot spot? Hot spots are common in this breed. I have only had him for about 4 months.
Please if you just think I should take him to the vet do not answer. I just want to know if you know about hot spots and what they look like.. Thanks to those who answer!
Answers:
Yes that is a hot spot I worked for a vet and you can by a med at walmart or petsmart called Sulfodene its a skin medication for dogs and its for hot spots. Good luck
That happens when he's in heat.
A hot spot is usually located at the base of the tail , on the top of the dogs back. The skin will looks scaley, and might look damps and crusty. There will be some loss of hair in the area. Usually this is caused by a pest infestation ( fleas etc). They can also be a misdiagnosis. The allergic reaction to certain flea treatments can cause what appears to be a hot spot, but is really and allergic reaction. Microscopic investigation of the area will determine the real culprit in the inflamed area.
BUT
The spot between your dogs toes could be a splinter, or an infected hair, or something serious. Does the dog limp? Does the toe seem sore? Infections in this breed can spread quickly. Please watch the dog closely.
My dog gets hot spots, and I believe it may be caused from an allergy. She gets them in multiple places on her body, not all over but more than one or two. They are the size a quarter or a little larger and are definately alot warmer to the touch than their normal skin temp. The area within the hot spot area's can be raised and reddish in color. They are uncomfortable and can itch.

This is what I do for my dog. I take a cool wet towel and place it onto the area. Since hers are on her back, I have taken a kitchen towel and sewn two pcs of elastic, one for around the neck and one for the abdominal area. I wet the towel then slide the elasics over her neck and arms so that the wet towel sits flat on her back and can soothe the hot area's. It helps alot. My dog actually likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment