Thursday, July 30, 2009

what deo i do in this situation?

My dog that Ive had since a child has leukemia and iwant to put it out of its misery but they said that they have some sort of surgery they would like to use on her but i think that they are lieing but ill do anything for her what should i do?
Answers:
There are surgeries for canine leukemia, just like there are for humans. But, as a responsible owner, there are things to consider: the age of the dog, the chance for survival, life expectancy post treatment, duration of treatment. The desicion shouldn't be made on cost, but what is right for your dog. God bless you. This is a hard desicion to make.
listen to the vet but if you are worried that hte dog is suffering then ask for pain med or something
I would consider going to another vet for a second opinion. Some vets suggest radical procedures that "might" help as a way to bring money into their clinic. I'm not saying this is the case, maybe what they want to do will truly work, but never the less, I'd get another opinion from a different vet before doing it. I wouldn't want to risk that my vet is suggesting something that will fatten his pocket book and not be of any good help to my baby.
honey take her to another vet. with major medical decisions to be made, this is what i would do. but do it soon.
It might be best, in this situation, to put her to sleep because even if they can help her with surgery she might still be in pain, and she sounds like an older dog so it's probably best.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog.
It really depends on the pet's age.If it is old and you don't think it would survive the surgery,then I don't think I would try,but it is according to the % they could give you on her survival ,or improvement that would determine if I choose the surgery or not.If a low %,then I don't think I would allow her to be a ginny Pig for them.Let her live her life,as she won't live any longer than she is suppose to.
As a responsible dog owner ask the vet to verbally walk you through the procedure, then decide. He just might be trying to tell you goodby because you have an inkling that this is enough. Wow, what a bond.I hope your heart and mind is eventually clear enough in time to open for another dog!
In my opinion depending on your dog's age is how you should decide what to do. If your dog is already 10-15 yrs old it may not be worth your time and effort, however if u love your dog that much which, i hope u do, then go for it. I would recommend some different opinions and price quotes if you don't have not done that already.
well how long will that last 6months a year.put the dog down. run the lawn mower with a half tank of gas in the shed with him if you don't have the money
The best thing to do in this situation is to put her down. I know it would be hard, I worked with a veterinary clinic for two years, but it's what's best. Your dog is only going to suffer from Leukemia, and any surgery that is available is not fail proof. The dog will either have to suffer through Leukemia or suffer throught the recovery of a surgery that is not even garunteed to work. I think it's best just to stop her suffering now.
go to a couple vets, see all their opinions, cuz they just might want your money.
I would ask your vet for a referral to a board certified veterinary oncologist. They will give you options but will not pressure you to do anything. When dealing with cancer you have to look at many things, the most important thing being your dog's quality of life. I had an older lab mix who I lost to cancer in 2000. One of the options they gave me was surgery. I declined the surgery. I didn't want him to spend his final limited days trying to recover from a very major surgery--removing his spleen (splenectomy), when it wouldn't necessarily be successful. I have never regretted my decision. He lived six months after his diagnosis. They were six good months, until I had to make the decision to let him go peacefully.

I am faced with cancer again now with my young dog. I am choosing treatment with a doctor (oncologist) I know and trust. Whatever you chose, make your decision with your dog in mind. If you know in your heart it might make her miserable and she is older, it may be kinder to let her live her final days with medication to ease her discomfort, or to let her go now if she is in a lot of pain. Whatever you chose, it will be the right thing to do, because you know her better than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment