Wednesday, July 29, 2009

what can i give my dog for alergies that is not perscribed?

my dog acts like he has sesonal alergies and i went to the vet and they gave me a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo. can u give a dog bendryl? i know u can give them like ib profen and othe over the counter meds but what about alergies?
Answers:
First of all how can you call it mumbo jumbo? Did you go to 8 years of school to be a Vet? If not, maybe you should listen to what he has to say. Few dogs have seasonal allergies, so likely this is more serious. Many problems could come disguised as a simple skin allergy. Mange, fleas, parasites, malnutrition, even worms could appear this way. The Vet is probably looking out for your dog's best interests.

What the Vet is probably doing is is an allergy battery (test). Once he deworms your dog (maybe) and gets the problem cleared up (antibiotics and antihistamien) he will introduce potential allergens to you dog in a controlled manner. This will show what he may be allergic to. It could be pollen, food, detergent, or any number of other things. Allergies do develop with age as well, so it may be something he has been exposed to for a while (like food or detergent).

As for what you can give him, yes benadryl does work. Check with your vet as to the dosage. If you Vet is pushing prescription, get a second opinion. I had one that actually recomended benadryl, saying the prescription is just a similar thing with more costs. Antibiotics are likely needed as well. Oatmeal shampoos work well, and they make a leave in conditioner (basically skin salve) to give which may help. My dog went through a long process of all this, but we have his skin allergy under control for now and he is doing great. Please do not assumed it is nothing serious, your dog's health is worth the effort. Good luck.
yes give you dog bendryl try to give it to him and if he wont take it then put it in his food and that shall work because that is what we give our dogs
Get a second opinion from another vet. I would not suggest giving your dog benadryl or anything like it. I don't know what you mean by mumbo jumbo but my Rott has seasonal allergies and I got from the vet pills, the label is kinda faded but your vet will know what it is, Chlorphi___ 4 mg the rest is faded. I only give it to him in the summer.
water.
Talk to your vet about the benadryl to get the dose needed. Any over the counter pain killers can put your dog into liver and kidney failure. That whole bunch of "mumbo jumbo" is to see what exactly is wrong. What may look like seasonal allergies can be other more serious things. Food allergies in dogs can appear in form of skin problems as well as yeast infections in the ears and skin. If you have any doubts, check with another vet. May he/she can guide you to another form of treatment. If you have a small dog, never just medicate her, you can over treat her.
DO NOT start self medicating the dog. People have inadvertently killed their pets this way. What do you mean by "mumbo jumbo"? If the vet is a quack, call your local humane society and ask that they recommend one to you. They are familiar with the vets in your area and can recommend a good one. Good Luck and please don't give your dog meds unless a vet tells you to. You could seriously harm/kill the dog.
Yes, you can give a dog Bendryl. My Pitt was on 6 a day as prescribed by the vet and he weights 80 lbs. It did not help that much because it was a food allergy. We changed his food and no more problems.
benadryl
I give plain Bendryl ( not sure that's spelled correctly)to my 5lb Chihuahua for her allergies at my vets instructions.I give her ,because of her size only a 1/4 of a pill.I use a pill cutter and crush the part I give her and mix it a small amount of butter and she licks it clean.It can cause your dog to get sleepy so the first times you give it to them you should observe them and not leave them unattended.I would never give any size dog more than my vet recommended.It helps my Chica a lot.I don't give it to her unless she really needs it.Please consult with your vet before trying any thing.
My vet had me get 25mg benadryl or the generaic equiv to my 80 pound boxer for his seasonal allergies. The pill, not the capsule or liquid.
Talk to another vet - and if it is skin allergies (bumps, scratching a lot, or hair loss) try changing the diet to one that is low in protein. We just went through allergies with our dog and the suggestion was dog food with rabbit meat or venison in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment