Thursday, July 30, 2009

What diet should I feed my puppy after she has had her rectal proplapse fixed?

My pup had just been fixed today, and had her anus sutured. What diet should I feed my puppy after an operation like this? Thanks!
Answers:
You should consult your vet about this question, I can't believe they didn't recommend to you what to feed the puppy. I would keep it on a bland diet until talking to the vet, a little white rice and maybe a scrambled egg.
did u go to the chop shop or something? Most professional vets send u home with care instructions don't they?
If it were my dog, recovering from such a surgery, I would cook a batch of lentils with boneless chicken and a few chicken livers, ( no more then 5 per week) to get her started..If it is a toy breed, I would puree it.Also, mix in a little Metamucile..or other fiber stool softener..or canned pumpkin.

You can safely feed jars of baby food, such as chicken and rice, with yams (or sweet potatoes) and a little of the plain meats mixed in..Also sprinkle with small amount of Metamucile..or canned pumpkin.
CHECK WITH THE VET!! They usually prescribe a LOW RESIDUE diet. Call the vet hospital and check, or you may have problems!

ALways be safe and ask!.

No comments:

Post a Comment