Friday, May 8, 2009

What can I do for my dog?

She has kennel cough. I took her to the vet and now she is three pills. She probably feels really horrible. I can't take her to the dog park. I took her with me to work today.She keeps sneezing and coughing. She also throws up. Can I do something to make her feel better?
Answers:
Just keep her warm and comfortable. Only take her for short walks, she will get tired easily.If she likes sweet things, give her some honey, pour some on a saucer for her to lick up, this will help to sooth her throat. Don`t give her too much food and what you do give her, make sure it is easily digest-able.Cut out biscuits, they will aggravate her throat and irritate her cough. When you are in the house, let her sit with you for company, stroke her often, so she will not feel lonely. We feel rotten when we have a cough or are `under the weather,`so do dogs.She may be feeling afraid, not knowing what is happening to her.Give her encouragement so she knows that you understand how she is feeling.I am so sorry that she is unwell and I am sure that she will soon be fit as a fiddle again. Take good care of her. Best wishes.
Try chicken soup.
im not really sure but i hope ur dog gets better
pamper her! the meds will help her, she just needs lots of TLC in the meantime. make her up a nice soft bed in a cool spot, and spend as much time as you can with her! Hope she's feeling better soon!
there is a place called bowsers bath in tigard by goodwill.they have solid gold food that is really good for yuor dog.it has lots of good nutrients in it.trust me i would know are dogs had some of those symptoms and they don't anymore because of that food.
I,M A VET ASST. YOU SHOULDN,T BE TRANSPORTING YOUR DOG WHEN ITS SICK OR TAKING IT TO THE PARK, A QUIET COMFY PLACE IS BEST UNTIL YOUR DOG FEELS BETTER.MAKE SURE YOUR DOG HAS PLENTY OF FOOD AND WATER HANDY.JAMIE
put her in the bathroom and run hot water in the shower and just let her breath in the steam to moisten her throat or give her some warm honey and lemon juice, and a lot of love and petting. good luck.
just give her lots of love and i see your already doin that..sorry about your dog;she knows your with her 100 percent
Oh poor baby. I'm so sorry. If I were you, I would call the vet back the first thing in the morning.

I don't want to scare you, but I adopted a pup from one of my local shelters, only to find out when I brought her home that she had Kennel Cough. she wasn't vomiting, but only coughing. To make a long story short, the Kennel Cough turned into pneumonia which was a precursor to Distemper and I lost her, even though she was under treatment beginning the day after I adopted her. This was a year and half ago though.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is check with the vet again and tell him or her what's happening. I hope I didn't frighten you too much.Kennel Cough is highly curable, but I will never forget how that dry hacking cough sounded.

I hope your baby feels better soon. (((( Hugs )))
Try to keep her as comfy a possible and when she gets better take her to the vet to get the kennel cough vaccine.
Talk to your vet to see if this is normal "recovery".
Keep her calm, don't stress her by having her exert herself, she is having difficulty breathing, so running and playing and such are out until she is well. Put blankets down where she likes to lay, so she doesn't catch a cold from the floor, because she is susceptible now. Lots of love, your soothing voice and petting whenever possible. I hope she recovers.
Put a humidifier in her room, with a menthol vapor. You do want to keep taking her for several short walks per day. And coughing isn't bad..it is clearing out all of the fluid in her lungs. Lying around all day and NOT coughing will cause that fluid to pool and potentially cause pneumonia.
Just keep giving her the tablets the vets perscribed,is your dog up to date with all its needles as they shouldnt get that if they are.Other wise maybe take it to another vet for a second appinion,you must tell your vet about her vomiting as she may have to go on another type of medication
Take her to the vet she needs a perscription. Kennel cough is very contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment