Friday, July 31, 2009

What do you DVM's thinkg of Raw Diets?

Any vets out there have an opinion on raw food diets? I have two dogs that are six years old, and they've been on cheapish kibble since we've got them. I've heard a lot about the benefits of raw diets - based on meat, bone, and organs. I'm thinking of giving it a try, but I want to talk to our vet first. Since it's late, I'm wondering if there's any DVMs that hang out on Answers. Thanks!
Answers:
Lots of vets have written books about it: Richard Pitcairn, Don Hamilton, Martin Goldstein, Robert Strombeck, etc.

I am sure there are many Yahoo groups you can join to learn about BARF (biologically appropriate raw food) or do a search for BARF. Robert Lonsdale is head of the Australian veterinary association and I think something will come up if you enter his name. Many breeders of cats and dogs wean their youngsters to a raw meat diet and insist that owners follow through on this food for the pet's life.

I feed my cats a raw diet (with a supplement powder). Dogs are much easier to switch to raw food and they can also have cooked meat (cats need to have it raw).

When you have a beef stew for dinner it is a perfect meal for your dog - meat, carrots, potatoes all done up in a delicious gravy. Don't know about onions and dogs though - onions a no-no for cats.
A raw diet is great as long as you do the research and make sure you are feeding a proper balance.
Well if none answer I can tell you now that most will be opposed to it. I can also tell you that they get kick-backs from dog food company's and the vets know they would be out of business without the dog food industry. There's a British magazine that you can find at Hastings called Dogs Today. Read the article from this month in it about raw feeding. It will be a wonderful eye opener. I knew a little of how it all worked and already was convinced to feed raw but after reading what the vets said in there I'm convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Edit: To the above answer; NO ONIONS FOR DOGS!! And cooked meat is never good for dogs. It won't hurt them to my knowledge but won't help them either. No cooked bones either.
yOUR CHANCES OF FINDING AN ACTUAL VET ON PetQnA.com ARE VERY SLIM, I AM NOT A VET BUT I WILL TELL YOU I FEED MINE THE RAW DIET. THEY ARE HEALTHY AND HAVE SHINY FUR NO HEALTH PROBLEMS AND NO ALLERGIES.

YOU WILL FIND THAT THIS DIET IS AN VERY CONTRIVERSIAL SUBJECT AS ALOT OF PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY AND DO NOT BELIEVE THESE COMPANIES PUT POISON INGREDIANTS INTO THE FOOD. EUTHANIZED SICK LIVESTOCK NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION GOES INTO THE MAKING OF THE DOG FOOD AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT CERTAIN PET FOODS CONTAIN EUTHANIZED DOGS AND CATS

I AM NOT SAYING ALL DOG FOODS ARE BAD AS YOU DO HAVE GOOD ONES LIKE INNOVA, SOLID GOLD, CALIFORNIA NATURAL AND A FEW OTHERS, BUT 90 PERCENT OF THE CHEAPER FOODS ARE NO GOOD FOR YOUR DOG. THE CORN IN THE DOG FOODS ARE THE BIGGEST INGREDIANT FOR CAUSING ALLERGIES.

YOUR VET WILL NOT RECOMMEND THE RAW DIET AS THEY KNOW THE RAW DIET IS BETTER FOR YOUR DOG, THEY RATHER PROMOTE THE CRAPPY SCIENCE DIET THAT HAS A BIG FACTOR IN ALLERGIES ALSO AS THEY GET A 40 PERCENT PROFIT ON ALL FOOD THEY SELL. THEY DO NOT PROMOTE IT FOR NUTRITIONAL REASONS THEY PROMOTE IT FOR PROFIT.
IF YOU DECIDE TO FEED THE RAW DIET PLEASE DO THE RESEARCH ON IT FIRST, BUT IT IS AN EXCELLANT WAY TO GO. I RECENTLY HAD A SHELTIE THAT DIED AT 20 YEARS OLD IN PEOPLE YEARS OF OLD AGE. SHE WAS FED THE CRAPPY SCIENCE DIET THE FIRST 9 YEARS OF HER LIFE AND SUFFERED FROM SEVERE ALLERGIES. WHEN I GOT HER I SWITCHED HER TO THE RAW DIET, SHE LIVED 11 MORE HEALTHY YEARS NEVER SEEING A VET DUE TO SICKNESS AND DIED OF OLD AGE. IF THIS DIET IS SO WRONG THEN WHY DID MY VET TELL ME THAT HE DOES NOT PROMOTE THE RAW DIET, BUT IT WORKED FOR MY DOG AND TO CONTINUE WHAT I WAS DOING. LIKE I SAID RESEARCH IT FIRST, BUT ASK PEOPLE THAT DO FEED THE RAW AND READ LITERATURE ON IT THAT WOULD BE THE BEST BET, NOT GOING THROUGH THE VET ON THIS ONE, VETS ARE NOT NUTRITIONISTS THEY ARE PET DOCTORS.

No comments:

Post a Comment