Friday, July 31, 2009

What do you feed your Jack Russell Terrier?

I have an amazing jack russell, he is almost 10 years old and we rescued him when he was 2. We buy his dry food from whole foods (it has a lot of vegetables and organic grains) which he absolutely loves. Now, wet food is another story. I have tried a few brands but his stomach is very sensitive and the past couple nights he has been throwing it all right back up!

He just had a check up so I know there is nothing wrong with him, I just want to know what other owners feed their Jacks and find out if there is maybe a gentle senior brand of wet food we can give him. thanks!
Answers:
I feed my Jacks Eagle Pak Holistic dry kibble. They also get a dollop of canned Pumpkin, not the kind used to make pies, and to the on on a diet I use green beans as a filler. I add just enough hot water to stir in the green beans and pumpkin. I feed twice a day. My Jacks also get vegetables such as carrots and broccoli. I play Flyball with my Jacks and they are in excellent physical condition.

My opinion would be feed the dry kibble until they can no longer eat the dry. It is good for their teeth as well as helps them eat slower if they are a dog that devours their food.
>Yorkies%26lt;
keep him on dry food as long as he can eat it
You could always forget the can food altogether and just keep him on senior kibble. They don't need soft food in there diet. There are a few good brands. but a good alternative is cooking human food! It's actually good for them to get cooked meats and veggies. Be sure not to put spices in and do a little research on what food is better.
I have a JRT and he does not eat moist food. They need lots of protein because they are so active so I cook some meat and vegetables for him. But if you don't have the time try Wysong, it's a natural food no too many preservatives which is what makes old dog get sick. They have senior moist, and dry dog food. And also old dogs could use some probiotics, enzymes and vitamins and Wysong have them all. Try. It is sold only at Soldan. Good luck.
I worked for a vet. He would tell you to keep him on dry food as long as he will eat it. If the food you feed him comes in a senior version for small dogs feed it to him. There is no reason to switch to moist unless he is missing teeth. The dry helps with the tarter and plaque off his teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment