Saturday, May 22, 2010

What exactly do I need for my Dachshund's birthing?

Ok. I have a pregnant standard Dachshund who is having puppies for her first time. She is close to giving birth to her babies, and I want to be extremely prepared just incase something serious goes wrong. Could someone tell me what they think I need. It would help very much.

Thanks
Answers:
You should stay close in case she wants or needs your help. Some moms will let you dry the puppies, so have some old towels handy. When the puppies are born, make sure they can breathe properly. I always cut and tied the cords myself because a lot of moms are a little too rough. You also might not want to let your mom eat more than 1 or 2 afterbirths or she'll get the runs. Have lots of newspapers handy so you can change them as needed. Make sure the room is warm - I always had a heat lamp suspended over the whelping box to make sure the puppies didn't get chilled. Good luck with your puppies!
This is an excellent site to help you with a first litter of pups. Enjoy! Congrats and hope everything goes well.

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/whe.
a VET and some towels because when my dog gave birth two died because she was all alone with only me and this was her 2nd time

No comments:

Post a Comment