Sunday, August 2, 2009

What do you think of a electronic collar on the lowest setting for a yappy small dog? I?

I have an 8 month old Pomeranian puppy. She is the love of my life and her training is going well, HOWEVER, she yaps at everything and nothing has worked. She is never alone as she goes to work with me so there is no anxiety or lonliness. She is walked for 45 minutes twice a day minimum so she gets plenty of exercise. Otherwise, she is a beautiful, sweet %26 calm dog. Her bark is very high pitched and LOUD and I do not blame people for hating it. I take her everywhere I go but am starting to make enemies with her barking. I bought a DogTra Bark Collar and am charging it up as I write this. I will put it on the lowest setting and go from there. Anyone had any experience with a small yapper?? This is a last resort or we will both stay home!
Answers:
sounds like you love your dog and at at your wits end. good luck.
Most dog bark collars are not recommended for toy sized dogs.

(I noticed the device you bought has no warning about that on their web page, most bark collar companies warn against use with toy dogs. The site also said small-medium sized bark collar, the same voltage that would be used on a basset hound sized dog will be going through your pom, doesn't that seem a little harsh to you?)

I would never use anything that would cause physical pain (let alone pay $80 for a device that would shock my dog)while training, it may have a negative result. Your dog may become submissive and scared of you as a result.
well, i don't agree with the dog wearing a collar that shocks..i suggest you try it on your neck first to see how it feels before you put it on your dog.

i think there are other ways to train your dog. why don't you seek professional training, or obedience class?

i have a loud barker too my maggie a rat terrier. but i would never do that to her.
It's important to understand BEFORE purchasing small dogs that they have a tendency towards high-pitched and loud barking. As you seem to be doing everything right (taking her with you, exercising her), it may simply be a part of her nature. Zapping her for a personality trait doesn't seem the best route to me (we don't zap people who talk too much).

I have a miniature dachshund and he, also, is a barker. He doesn't bark to annoy - he just happens to be vocal.

Electric collars aren't bad tools when used properly, but I just can't see this being a proper use.
you picked a "yappy" breed to live with and shocking your pup for being normal for the breed is going to change the happy natural way of life that is its nature. my vote is please dont do it. if you want a quiet dog get a besengi.
As long as the collar is intended for a dog the SIZE of your dog, I'm sure it won't hurt her. As long as it's used properly, it's no worse than a "choke" chain or other type of training collar. The one thing you might consider is that they do have an "ultrasonic" bark collar now. It emits a highpitched tone when the dog barks. Dogs can hear it but we cannot (or it's very quiet if we can). I've heard they are just about as effective as the shock collars.

In any case. if you do try the shock collar, just make sure you take it off at night and that she never wears it when you aren't around. No matter what type of collar you chose, training collars are generally only intended for supervised use and injury can result if they're left on 24/7 or when the dog is unattended. Good luck. Poms are a VERY yappy breed. at least all the poms I've ever known have been!
I DAMN hate yapping little dogs!
Make sure you do your research first before buying an electronic collar. I have the same problem with my little pom girl, she just turned a year old on halloween. I have tried everything to get her to stop and most of the time a strong "no" does the trick but if she really feels threatened or she hears something outside at night she goes crazy. I'm now considering a shock collar as a new method but i'm still doing my research; you should do the same before hurrying to "shut her up".
There are bark collars specifically made for small breed dogs. You may also want to shave a small patch of fur off her neck where the probes touch the skin. I highly recommend this as I am an owner of a full sized pure bred yappy collie. If you shave this small area there is better contact and the little "zap" they get is much more effective, ohhh and it will also help the battery last longer. Good luck.
I understand (my poodle shakes %26 rattles his tags ALL the time, and he barks whenever someone's at the door), but she is SO small! I know it's for a good cause, but really, it'd cause her pain and stress. Her personality, affection, and even her eating habits might change! PLEASE think before you do this to her!
honestly i am totally against any sort of collar that shocks. would you want a necklace that jolted you every time you speak? although you take your puppy everywhere, are you properly socializing her? (didn't you see on jackass when they put those on eachother?) it sounds like she probably gets spooked pretty easily, and probably has some sort of attachment issue (she may be being over-protective of you because she's so attached). i think it's time you get her a friend puppy and start leaving her home. there is no reason you have to take her EVERYWHERE! aside from that, that is a pommie for you. they are very high energy and vocal dogs..if you didn't want that in your pet you should've studied up first and selected a quieter breed of dog!
Oh no, please don't use the e collar. Your 8 MO is in infant yet. She will not be fully mature til she's a year or more. Do a search on "positive dog training" and you'll find many good books. Pat Miller, Jean Donaldson are but two terrific authors. I'm guessing your pup doesn't understand what you want.teach her..love her.don't hurt her. E collars should only be used by those trained in their correct use. There's a lot more to it than just "charging it up". If you must, try a citronella collar first -- it doesn't hurt quite as much as the e collar. And yes -- you should try out the e collar on yourself first.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. Best e collar for small dogs

    ReplyDelete