Sunday, August 2, 2009

What do you like about American Bulldogs? (to owners)?

I am going to get a dog soon, and i was just looking for some input on the amercian bulldog. Two other breeds i am considering are the american pitbull terrier and the rottweiler. i like those two because of their loyalty and capability to defend. i was wondering if there are any similarities or major differences between those two and the american bulldog.
Answers:
I have two dogs - one min pin and one american bulldog. Chopper ( the bulldog ) is learning from Rocko how to protect the house - but in all honesty he is really a lazy, seemingly stupid dog. American Bulldogs are hard to train as well. Though I love my dog I would never count on him to protect me or stay loyal to me. Even my 10 pound miniture pinscher can kick his . If you want loyalty and the capability to defend I would go with the pit. Even though they recently have been added to the dangerous dogs list, Amer. Bulldogs are easily mislead and far too complacent to really care about their surroundings. As long as you give them attention or have food, they are complete pushovers.
Yes pit bulls are some of the nicest dogs in the world. Even tho people train them to fight that is not the dogs fault. Its the humans! Humans can be such morons to poor helpless little animals that need are help. Not to fight but to be a good companion for the rest of there life's. They should not have to fight for there life's everyday of there life's. That's like a lab animal. And that's just un people like. If you treat them right they will be one of the nicest dogs ever.
i would get the american bulldog. the other breeds you mention have been bred ..well let's say alot..so temperment goes with that. lots of times people breed for agression. i am a groomer and an american bulldog is the size of a rott, the head of a pit, and the temperment of a really sweet dog. yes, they can be agressive and intimidaing. but, they are GREAT dogs for a family. Anything that has a "BULL" in it's breed is going to have agression issues. But stay away from the breeds that have been bred alot. There's a pit bull breder on every corner. sometimes, they can't trace those bloodlines! i even know of a reputable breeder that has forged papers. the puppies sell and that's all they care about. so there can be a very agressive bloodline in a litter and you won't even know it. Research the breeder when buying any dog. And by the way, have you looked at your local kennels and rescue groups?
**NOTHING!!

NOT* a recognised breed!

JUST a MUTT/MONGREL like ALL of the CRAP that CROOKS are sticking a stupid "label" on the SCAM the IGNORANT/GULLIBLE!!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to dispute what the groomer had to say about any dog with "bull" in there name will have aggression issues. I've been a proud APBT owner for well over 14 years. When I decided I was going to own a pitbull, I did a lot of research (Richard Stratton writes several good books about this breed) and found a very good breeder who cared about bloodlines and temperment. I wanted an APBT because I wanted a dog that could protect me. I had worked around police K-9s and found that "attack" trained dogs (all breeds..shepherds, dobermans, malinois, etc) tend to be a little over anxious when it comes to protection. In any case, I picked out my pup when he was 5 weeks old, brought him home when he was 8 weeks old. I had done obedience shows and was a trainer, so I put him through basic obedience, never did anything to make him aggressive or taught him to attack or "get it". He is absolutely the smartest dog I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot of dogs) and I have no doubt he will protect me without any cue. Due to his great breeding, he can sense it and just knows. He has proved this on a few occassions. He's actually a big cuddle hound and thinks he's a lap dog. Here's my advice...do the research...read about the different breeds. A pitbull is going to require a lot of exercise and good basic obedience. Find a good breeder...one that can prove the dog is registered with either the UKC or the ADBA, or even better, dual registry. For the most part, breeders that register their dogs are in it for the breed and not just a quick buck. For the record, I am a female who holds a management position...not the stereotypical pitbull owner. And now I'll get off my soapbox!!!

    ReplyDelete