Sunday, August 2, 2009

What do you think of the doggie "car seats"?

At a few pet supply stores they are selling "doggie car seats" for small dogs. They are like a carrier for your small dog but they attatch to your seat so as to keep your dog safe while driving in the car. In case of an accident or such so that your dog or puppy doesnt go flying through the wind shield or so that your dog isnt distracting you while you drive. I have been reading up ALOT on taking care and training a puppy because we are getting one on Saturday and most say to keep your dog in a crate or carrier in the car to keep him safe while driving, but some people are giving me troubles when I say I want to get this "doggie car seat" for our puppy. Now I know my dog is not a baby but I still dont want anything to happen to her in case of an accident or sudden stop. It doesnt strap the pup in like a kid it is just like a carrier and very comfortable for the pup. What is your opinion please?
Answers:
I think you're right that the dogs need some protection in case of a sudden stop or a crash. I don't think those seats offer that sort of protection. My auntie has them and the dogs still bounce around.
Dog seat belts work better. They go on the dog like a harness and clip into the seat belt. It uses the car's safety features, which is better than those seats. Get them at most large pet stores.
A most excellent idea!
Doggie car seats are great! I have both an american bull dog and pit bull who love to be in the car. When I got the car seats they loved them, their comfy, and it keeps them safe, instead of them falling off the seats, they stay in one place!
I think a harness and attatched to a seat belt works well, and the dog itself is secure.. not just the seat. I dont know it the seats allow you to secure the dog too.
I have one for my 14 week old Bichonpoo who weighs 5 pounds. She will be 10 pounds full grown. At first she would whine when I put her in it. But now she lies down in it and sleeps through all the car trips. It has a short tag with a clasp on the end that attaches to a collar or harness. I find it much better than putting her in a carrier in the car. The carrier can become a projectile in an accident. Word of caution however do not put the car seat in the front passenger seat unless you can deactivate the air bag. In an accident the air bag could suffocate the pup.
It's better than tying them to your bumper.
i think this great i have a lil. dog myself and every time we get in the car she goes every were and it is kind of distracting especially when shes trying to lay on my lap so i say you should get one. now that you bring this up i'm thinking of getting one myself!
OK, you said you want to keep the dog safe?? how is a "car bed" going to help! people on here are right! get the dog harness that the seat belt helps keep them safe!! seems like you are thinking of stuff CUTE not SAFE!!
A lot of states now have animal control regulations for in a vehicle. You should check your local regulations. In my state you have to have the animal secured with a crate or a fence behind the seat so that they cannot distract the driver. We put our two greyhounds behind the last seat in our van.just enough room for them to stand, sit, lay and for them to stay out of trouble. Remember your puppy will grow and you might want to purchase something that will hold him from now into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment