Friday, May 8, 2009

what can I do for a constipated puppy? she is almost 3 weeks?

We took her to the vet today and he did a warm water enema. Tonight I can barely get her to eat her stomach is so bloated. She goes to the bathroom a little and has gas when I wirk with her but she acts like it hurts her when I massage her. Any breeder out there that might be able to give me some tips
Answers:
Did your vet x-ray her? She might very well have something STUCK in her, blocking stuff from moving through her intestines. Poor, poor baby. :( If she is just constipated, maybe laying her on a heating pad (on low heat) would ease her pain a little.
With a pup, I'd take it to the vet.
You should take her back to the vet, I would ask WHY she is having these troubles. Good Luck KG
I found this on the net as a suggestion to help. they say adding vegetables such as peas or green beans helps prevent it also.

exercise is a great constipation cure. A long walk or a vigorous game of fetch does a great job of kick-starting a sluggish bowel. With a combination of vegetables and exercise, your dog will be as regular as clockwork in no time.
take it to the vet. being a puppy, it may of eaten something and it is stuck. solid pack pumpkin in a can is good for constipation..but still, call the vet. there is also a vet that has a message board on
www.ivillage.com
Puppies love to chew apart ANYTHING. That includes socks and underwear. She may have swallowed a large portion of a sock and it won't digest. I've been a dog trainer for years and have seen this often in young pups who have access to such things. Look for missing pieces to rubber toys as well. Rawhide chewies are often the culprit as well. If she gets those - take them away until she's at least 8-10 weeks old - and then monitor them closely. They pull off large pieces and swallow them whole. In that case warm water enemas won't help. It takes too long to break those down. The vet should have done x-rays.

Other than that, the enema will take some time to work it's way through the puppie's system. Pull up any food and leave plenty of fresh water out. No treats either. That may only make it worse. Try to handle her as little as possible. Speak soothingly and watch for any signs that she has to go out. Give in to her everytime at this point.
There's a wonderful free website that you can go to and tells many reasons, cures, and symptoms of constipation in dogs. It's called dogpro.com. I could have copied and pasted but there's a ton of information on that site. Good luck. Poor puppy!
I am writing you from what I am setting here reading in my medical book for dogs. the best thing to do is give her is Dulcolax laxative. the dose for dogs is 5-20mg. perday. you can also use Milk of magnesia 7-25 cc's per pound one time only, or you can use mineral oil 10-50 cc's added to there food. If I can help any futher I am at mfroeh@yahoo.com
I'm sorry but you may have to consider letting her go. When a puppy is that young and already having complications, there are usually other problems as well.
Has the mother rejected the puppy? Why is he off to the side? Hope I can help you some.
She is only 3 weeks old. Her digestive system has not matured enough for puppy food. That is the problem. She needs to be on puppy formula! Poor thing, I hope she makes it.
Hmm, sounds to me like she is a it young to be away from her mother? There are nursing formulas on the market that you can get at larger pet stores that may be easier for her to digest than the food you are currently giving her. I also agree that your vet should be your best source for her care.I wonder that he is not changing her feed since it looks to me on first glance that her diet is suspect. Gee, I hope she is getting better! What kind of pup is she? Pardon me, but, at three weeks I would think that she may be too young to be weaned.
The pup is definately to young to be away from her mother, you should always slowly start them off on puppy food while they are still nursing. I don't know what to with a constipated pup, its never happened to me before, but I would try whole milk or puppy formula and see if it does the trick
at 3 weeks mommy is still helping stimulate the bowel .. with a warm wash cloth keep rubbing the area. this should help if not go to the bakers isle in the grocery store and buy pumpkin pie mix not the ready made it will be in the smaller can not to much just a little and it will releave her pumkin is a natural laxative ecpecially for dogs and cats and it is cheap and handy. good luck
Try olive oil it is a natural lubercate a teaspoon should work? Depending on size check with vet but you could give her medicine. I had a dog woth diarreha and gave him liquid medicine and he was fine the next day. Also if she will eat apples or prunes it will work. And they won't hurt her.
Try a little karo syrup
Gosh it just amazes me how many people don't know how help little ones like yours to go to the bathroom .. what she needs right now is her mummy to clean her ..which helps her go to the bathroom .. since her mummy is not around you will have to be the second best or her foster mum

Please take a warm wet ( not hot ) cloth and stroke her little female parts and bottom ..be gentle but firm in your cleaning .. she "should" go .

you see the mummy does clean up the first few weeks

concerning their babys waste so in a sense your doing the same thing with the clothes .

one good thing that will come out of it .. its a very bonding thing to do .

you will need to keep this up a few times a day till she is old enough and well enough to handle it on her own

please let me know how it is doing

Best of luck
Ask your vet if it's OK to give her a drop or two of over the counter gas relief medicine(simethicone) for babies,and a small piece of a baby glycerin suppository to help with the constipation.Also,maybe the formula doesn't agree with her.You could try goats milk with a 1/2 tsp.corn syrup per.cup. I hope the poor little thing is alright .It sounds as if you are doing a good job trying to take care of her.Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment